We are quickly approaching the end of 2021 and it’s time to start thinking about what your 2022 recruiting strategy is going to look like. Before you drive into the work there is one thing you must do to set yourself up for success.
Take time to refuel as a leader.
The biggest mistake you can make as a leader who is hoping to grow their team in the upcoming year is to put your energy into attracting people to your business when your own energy isn’t in the right place.
You might be feeling tired, overwhelmed, run-down, or unsure about what 2022 holds for your business. Or you might be feeling excited, optimistic, and ready for the new year.
Regardless it is important that you get intentional about your own refuel so that you attract the kind of people you need to take your salon to the next level.
I know that 2022 is going to be a kick-ass year for salons.
You had a year of hardship in 2020. You’ve had a year of recovery and movement in 2021.
2022 is the year of opportunity. I hope at this point you believe in yourself and your time like never before- because you’ve done some BIG things over the last two years
Here is how I recommend you set yourself (and your fellow salon leaders) up for success in 2022.
- Take some time to decompress.
This means that you intentionally schedule in the time to be intentionally disconnected from the grind and intentionally connected to your power. This looks like carving out time to brainstorm and reflect on how you have felt, what you have accomplished, and where you can clearly see you have work to do.
My favorite questions to ask myself during a decompress session (I recommend a full day) are:
- What is the one thing you would change about your business if you could?
- What is stopping you from making the change?
- How do you want to feel in your business in 2022?
- What is stopping you from feeling that way?
- Take time to celebrate.
Celebrating yourself means you need to be ready to brag. You have accomplished a lot even if you are a leader who feels like you are standing still.
My favorite way to celebrate myself is to solicit feedback from trusted friends, peers, and mentors. I recommend you ask them the following questions
- What do you see as my greatest strength?
- When you reflect on the last year of knowing me, what do you see as my biggest win?
- Make a plan
Once you have taken the time to decompress and taken the time to celebrate you can actually have a headspace that is clear enough to plan. This is where you can start working on your plan to recruit the perfect talent for your business.
- Who is my ideal employee?
- How much do I want to grow my revenue this year?
- What does that mean in relation to the number of people I need to hire?
- What one place could I do a better job of telling this story to, in my efforts to make sure this ideal candidate knows about my brand?
Recruiting well means leading from the right place. Otherwise, your energy is going to disrupt what you attract, and you’ll be leading people into a place that is different than the place they expected to be.